Gausman to be held back early this spring

SARASOTA, Fla.—Kevin Gausman’s spring debut didn’t last long, as the right-hander worked a scoreless first inning on 14 pitches in Wednesday’s game against the Tigers. But that’s all part of the Orioles’ plan, as the club hopes the 24-year-old right-hander can avoid getting shut down early again this season.

“Every year is a little bit different,” said Gausman, who is in his third big league camp. “My first year I wanted to come into camp and show what I had and possibly be an option for later in the year, knowing I wasn’t going to make the team. But pitched well. Last year came to camp, felt I had a good chance of making the rotation and then we signed Ubaldo [Jimenez]. So, it’s one of those things. Every spring is going to be different.

“That’s one thing that’s different this year is they kind of held me back. [The Orioles] told me don’t throw any bullpens before you get to camp. Normally I throw 7 or 8 bullpens before camp.”

Gausman said he tried to approach the one-inning spring debut like a regular start and, overall, was pleased with how he felt. Gausman allowed a leadoff single to Anthony Gose before getting a double play ball. He ended the frame by striking out J.D. Martinez.

In 2014, Gausman threw 113 1/3 innings in the Majors and 45 1/3 in the Minors. He started the season in Triple-A and Baltimore was cautious with his innings early to keep him as an option for the Orioles during the postseason.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: