Duquette: Gausman to stay at Double-A for now
Orioles top pitching prospect Kevin Gausman is not being considered for any kind of promotion with executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette confirming Tuesday afternoon that the 22-year-old right-hander is not in the Orioles’ immediate plans.
“Gausman is doing fine,” Duquette said of Gausman who has a 3.35 ERA in seven start for Double-A. “I’m going to tell you he’s not a candidate for us recall him. He’s doing fine at Double-A and he’s getting used to professional baseball.”
The Orioles have just three starters on their active roster right now with injuries to Wei-Yin Chen (right oblique strain) and Miguel Gonzalez (blister) causing a roster shuffle and furthering concern over an already-inconsistent starting staff. But the team remains hopeful Gonzalez will miss just one turn and the expectation remains that Jair Jurrjens will be added to the roster to make Saturday’s start.
Gausman –who is expected to be in Baltimore before the year is over– is scheduled to pitch for Double-A Bowie on Thursday and he doesn’t necessarily have to pitch at Triple-A before coming to the big leagues.
“What did we do with Manny Machado last year, where did he go?,” Duquette said. “Double-A is the real proving ground, if they do well there. I like to see players do well at Double-A and get a foundation so that when they do come to the big leagues they can succeed. So the proving ground is Double-A.
He’s doing fine where he is. He’s doing fine, he’s getting his feet on the ground and learning about the routine of pro baseball.”
Gausman has allowed 20 runs (15 earned) on 40 hits over 40 1/3 innings, striking out 39 and walking just four.