Either the Baltimore Orioles or the NY Yankees will win the AL East division and the other team will win a Wild Card spot. The O’s enter today back by one game and tied with the Rangers and A’s, who play each other.
- The NY Yankees clinch the division if they beat Boston OR Baltimore loses to Tampa Bay. Either outcome clinches the division for N.Y.
- The NY Yankees can also clinch home field advantage throughout the AL playoffs, and would face the Wild Card team in the ALDS, if they beat Boston, OR Baltimore loses to Tampa Bay AND Texas beats Oakland. If the Yankees lose, both Baltimore AND Oakland must also lose for the Yankees to clinch; the Yankees hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Rangers by virtue of winning their season series, 4-3.
- If Baltimore beats Tampa Bay AND the NY Yankees lose to Boston, then the Orioles would host N.Y. in a tiebreaker game on Thursday, October 4, at a time TBD. The winner would be the AL East champion and the loser would play in the AL Wild Card Game.
- Baltimore cannot secure home field advantage throughout the AL playoffs, because even if they win the AL East, both Texas (5-2) and Oakland (5-4) hold the tiebreaker over them by virtue of winning their head-to-head season series. Whatever happens in a potential Game 163 tiebreaker does not count toward seeding for the playoffs.
- So, if the Yankees win AND the Orioles lose tonight, the O’s would go on the road to the loser of tonight’s Texas/Oakland game for a Wild Card game on Friday. If the Yankees and Orioles both win, the Yanks would win the division and the Orioles would host Friday’s Wild Card game versus the loser of Oakland/Texas.